Total Books Read – 100
Total Fiction – 72
SF/Fantasy/Horror* – 38
General/Misc – 24
Classics – 6
Mystery/Noir – 4
*SF/F/H grouped together because it’s too much of a headache to mentally debate which book falls into which category.
Young Adult – 17
Short Stories Collections – 13
Audio Books – 10
Digital/Ounline – 1
**These numbers does not contribute to overall total as they also fall into the alternate categories.
Total Nonfiction – 8
Literary & Art Criticism/Creation – 4
Science & Health – 2
Memoir – 1
Miscellaneous – 1
Comics/Graphic Novels – 11
Poetry – 9
My Favorite 10 Books Read in 2012
(in no particular order)
– Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman
– Deathless, by Catherynne M Valente
– The Age of Miracles, by Karen Thompson Walker
– Imaginary Girls, by Nova Ren Suma
– The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green
– The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
– China Mountain Zhang, by Maureen F McHugh
– The Hobbit: 10th Anniversary Edition, by JRR Tolkien
– I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive, by Steve Earle
– The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories, by Tessa Gratton, Maggie Stiefvater, and Brenna Yovanoff
Best Science Fiction Book
I’ll go with The Man Who Fell to Earth,
by Walter Tevis, because I just loved the subtlety of the tale of an
alien on earth. It was so much the plot but the overall feeling of
isolation and alienation.
Best Graphic Novel
Easily Daytripper, by Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá. Amazing art with a moving story and creative plot structure.
Best Nonfiction Book
Packing for Mars, by Mary Roach. How she makes the gross and uncomfortable underbelly of science bit respectable and hilarious I’ll never know.
What were your favorite books of the year? What were your least favorite?